Saturday, July 18, 2009

My Newest Obsession




My newest obsession (and there are many folks) is EATING CLEAN!!! I've been slowly but surely swapping out all of our white/processed fare for the more natural and whole wheat stuff. But I must say, I'm all about being healthy, but I'm also a girl who likes to have her cake and eat it too. So.....I am now obsessed with not only cooking with clean foods (read natural, unprocessed) but with baking using nothing but clean ingredients. So in my quest for eating clean and my love for baking and sweets, I will research some recipes, make them, and report back here from time to time. I love a good dessert at the end of the day on the weekends, so I'll probably start with more dessert type stuff and move from there. Here's my first experiment, clean eating banana bread! Yummmm!
Clean Banana Bread
1-1/2 c. wheat flour (I like heavy breads, but if you don't, sub half with all purpose white flour or spelt flour)
1-1/4 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/8 t. salt
2 slightly beaten egg whites
1 c. mashed bananas
1/3 c. agave nectar (this is the sub for white sugar, use 1/3 c. agave nectar for 1 c. sugar, you can also use 3/4 c. organic sugar cane crystals)
1/4 c. canola oil
1/4 c. unsweetened applesauce
t. good quality vanilla
1/2 c. dark chocolate pieces (you can also use craisins, raisins, or nuts).
Grease an 8x4x2 in. loaf pan. Beat eggs, mash bananas and add to wet ingredients (including agave nectar).
Combine dry ingredients in a seperate bowl. Add wet to dry. Fold in chocolate pieces. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-50 minutes.



1 comment:

Trish said...

mmmm... That would be so yummy with craisins in. Oh, yeah! I can't wait to see all of your nummy new recipes. (And try them, too!)