Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Um, I made bread!

I can't believe I made clean whole wheat bread with my own two hands! Don't laugh, it's a miracle! :) There is nothing better than fresh baked bread right out of the oven! I finally can do that now. Making this bread conjured up memories of my Grandma Dutson who used to make us fresh baked bread all the time! She'd pull it right from the oven and cut us off a "hunk" with real butter made from her cows on the farm, and honey! This was our FHE; it was a spiritual experience! Ha!ha! It tasted so good and I was so proud that I did it all on my own. I even kneaded it by hand for 10 min.! Talk about working up a sweat in your kitchen. No wonder we're all fat now, we don't do anything! We just go to Wal-Mart and pick up a loaf of bread, no problem. Now, I'm not gonna go all pioneer and all and start only having homemade bread all the time, but now I can say that I did it! Here's the recipe:
Clean Honey Wheat Bread
1 packet active dry yeast
2 c. warm water
1/3 c. honey (or dark molasses)
2T. canola oil
2t. sea salt
51/2- 6 c. whole wheat flour
In mixing bowl place in order given all ingredients except flour. Add flour gradually to make a stiff dough. Knead on well-floured surface until smooth and satiny, 8-10 min. Place in greased bowl. Cover; let rise in warm place until doubled, 1 1/2-2 hours (to speed this up I placed in outside, gotta take some advantage of the heat!). Divide in half; shape into balls. Cover with bowl; let rest 15 min. Shape into loaves. Place in well-greased loaf pans. Cover; let rise until light and doubled, about 1 hour. Bake at 375 for 30-35 min. or until deep golden brown.


No comments: